Commonwealth Media | 8 November 2013
Education minister Christopher Pyne has announced $522 million in funding for 1177 new research projects under the Australia Research Council’s (ARC) Future Fellowships scheme (commencing 2013) and Major Grants scheme (commencing 2014).
The schemes for which these projects have received funding include:
- 201 projects under the Future Fellowships scheme
- 703 projects under the Discovery Projects scheme
- 200 projects under the Discovery Early Career Research Award scheme
- 63 projects under the Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities scheme
- 10 projects under the Discovery Indigenous scheme.
Pyne said the announcement of more these new research projects, many with international collaborations, is a significant investment.
If Australia is continue to produce groundbreaking research outcomes, ‘eureka’ moments and Nobel Laureates, then a strong investment in research is needed.